Sunday, January 27, 2008

New Year's reads

After Christmas each year, I get a ‘to be read’ pile, but the new year brings no time to read them. Nevertheless I’ve managed to read two.

I won Cynthia Owens’ Christmas contest, and in addition to a beautiful book bag, candles, bath salt and other great stuff, I finally got my hands on her book.

Sure, and she can write a fine tale that has one seeing the green, smelling the peat fires and hearing the pipes and fiddles of Ireland. As someone said to me recently, it is the emotions that are key in romance writing, and this book has it in spades! The characters feelings were just dripping off the pages in the last three or four chapters--no, those were the constant tears pouring from my eyes. Made it hard to read, but such a satisfying finish.

The other book I’ve read this year I feel a bit guilty about. I didn’t have time to read, you see, and I meant just to take a quick peek at the first page. But Denise Eagan hooked me immediately and never let me go. What a fantastic story, and funny and action-packed to boot. While it kept me up all night, the lack of sleep was well worth it. With apologies to my critique partners for my tardiness.

So, IN SUNSHINE AND IN SHADOW and WICKED WOMAN will go on my keeper shelf, right beside THE MOST UNSUITABLE HUSBAND by Caroline Clemmons. What a talented bunch I blog with!

2 comments:

Cynthia Owens said...

Thanks so much for your lovely words about my book, Jenn! Glad you enjoyed it.

IN SUNSHINE OR IN SHADOW was very definitely the "book of my heart," the story I feel I was destined to write. I'm glad the people of Ballycashel and their emotion were as real to you as they became for me.

Cynthia
http://pages.videotron.com/cowens/index.html

Susan Macatee said...

I agree with you, Jenn!

I read IN SUNSHINE OR IN SHADOW, THE MOST UNSUITABLE HUSBAND and I'm almost finished Dee's book WICKED WOMAN.

It's so hard to put that one down!
But with so much work to do, I've only limited reading time. I've got a box of to-be-read books and am buying new ones all the time.

The good part is, I'll never run out of great things to read.