Monday, December 10, 2007

Tuesday Ten: Cowboy Slang


I know what you're thinking -- she's not really going to do another cowboy blog, is she? *Grin* Sorry, but I was pressed for time this week and this kind of stuff comes easy for me, so here goes!


Cowboy’s had their own unique way of talking, some phrases more colorful than others.


Here for our Tuesday Ten, are some of my favorites:


Buckle Chaser – an aggressive cowgirl.

Catch Colt – a foal not sired by the herd stallions (an “accident”.)

Cut Proud – when a gelding acts like a stallion.


Crick in his getalong – a hobbling gait caused by an injury (love that one!).


Pounding Leather – riding hard.


Pull Leather – grab the saddle horn for safety.


Keeps his head pretty low in the herd – a horse or man that keeps a low profile.


Grub Liner – a cowboy who arrives just before supper and leaves before work starts.


Hurricane Deck – the saddle on a bucking horse.


High Pockets – a tall guy with long legs.

4 comments:

Denise Eagan said...

Nic, great stuff! I'm absolutely using pounding leather. I've been using, ridin' hell for leather and cut dirt for pretty much the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Hurricane Deck – the saddle on a bucking horse.

High Pockets – a tall guy with long legs.


These 2 are my favorites. Hurricanes and the West? Haha, not something you connect. The high pockets one just struck me as odd, obvious once you read it, but very odd.

Susan Macatee said...

Wow! It's like a whole other language!

Paty Jager said...

You know I love the slang! ;)

Noting like a cowboy to give you the truth of the matter.