Thursday, March 09, 2006

Technology

Technology:
1.
a. The application of science, especially to industrial or commercial objectives.
b. The scientific method and material used to achieve a commercial or industrial objective.
2. Electronic or digital products and systems considered as a group: a store specializing in office technology.
Hassle:
1. An argument or a fight.
2. Trouble; bother.
(www.dictionary.com)

What do you get when you combine the two? A headache.

I have 1 house phone line (with 3 phones), 1 cell phone (with a cool Bluetooth), 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 DSL with wireless connection that doesn’t always go wireless, 2 TVs, 2 VCRs, 2 DVDs, and 2 radios. And I live alone. That’s just at home. At work I have an office – ‘nuff said. How on earth did we manage before all this? I remember doing it; I mean I went to college when cell phones were new-ish. I didn’t talk on them during my 3 hour drive. I didn’t spend hours doing research online. I didn’t spend even longer emailing or playing games.

How’d I manage? How did anyone? I’m sitting here, typing on my computer, my Doors CD playing from the CD-Rom, and I think – I can’t go back. Or, more accurately, I CAN’T GO BACK! DON’T MAKE ME, I’LL FIGHT YOU ALL THE WAY AND YOU’LL BE BLOODY WHEN I’M DONE, I PROMISE YOU THAT! (See definition of panic.)

And yet is my life easier? Is it simpler? Well, I do get to talk to my family more often. That has to count for something. Of course, people can actually find me now, too. But I can keep in touch with friends I haven’t seen in years, ones that live across the country, or around the corner. I talk to my best friend every day – mostly by email, but we also call each other on our commutes home. Physically see her? Uh…no.

Note I’m not actually writing, as I should be. I need to finish my website and edit 2 chapters. Possibly do a load of laundry, the dishes in the sink that’ve been there for 3 days, and put the rest of my stuff away from vacation. At some point I’d love to catch up on my sleep.

So the best thing about technology? It’s great for procrastination.

No comments: