Friday, March 09, 2007

Got That Request!

Okay, I finally got what all writers want. A request from a publisher to read the full of my manuscript.

My first reaction was to jump up and down. I finally found an editor who likes my story! My second reaction was panic. I hadn't finished my edits because I hadn't expected to hear back from the publisher so soon. So, now what do I do?

Luckily, I was able to jump on-line and consult with other writers who've been there. The first advice I got was to take a deep breath.

Then I was told to figure out how long it would comfortably take me to finish, pick a date when I figured I could get the full to them, then email the editor with the date of delivery.

This was very good advice, because now, I'm starting to obsess about every word in the manuscript. Having a solid deadline will make it easier to send my baby out, since the object is to get it out, so it can have a chance of being accepted and published.

It's so hard to let go, but I will do it. I have a deadline that I plan to keep.

No comments: